Natural Weight Loss
Losing weight may be vital for your health but there are good and not so good ways to lose weight. Here we examine the best way to keep yourself healthy and safe.
Losing Weight Safely
The goal of natural weight loss should be a firm, healthy body, with a feeling of overall well-being. To do this you must focus on working with your body's natural mechanisms to allow it to find a new level that feels as good as it looks. Natural weight loss should be between one and two pounds per week - more than that and you are burning muscle, not fat. Natural weight loss involves following a diet that includes:
- Three balanced meals a day
- A nutritional breakdown of around 30% protein, 30% healthy fats, and 40% complex carbohydrates
- A focus on fresh, unprocessed fruit and vegetables, quality protein (chicken, fish, beans, nuts) and whole grains.
Other recommendations would include:
- Eating two small snacks per day that include some protein. Increased protein consumption has been shown to increase weight loss. In addition, slimmers on a higher protein diet lose fat rather than muscle.
- Maintaining a low glycaemic load in your meals. Foods high on the GI scale cause rapid changes in blood sugar, and thus more hunger.
- Exercise regularly. Work towards a target of 5 workouts per week - three cardio sessions of up to 45 minutes, and two anaerobic sessions such as weight-training.
- Take a multivitamin/multivitamin daily to make up for any nutritional shortfalls.
- Keep a food journal in order to understand what you eat, when you eat it, and why you eat it. This will highlight any destructive or harmful eating patterns.
Adopting a strategy such as this will allow you to strip away the excess pounds in way that is sustainable in the long term, and leaves you looking and feeling great.